Friday 25 February 2011

Walk across my swimming pool

Good afternoon. (And it is a Friday afternoon, despite what blogger.com would have you believe.)



I've been reading a little into both theological and atheistic literature recently; I find both sides of the coin very interesting, without really being able to make up my own mind over the whole thing.

I recently watched a picture called The God Who Wasn't There, a film by Brian Flemming concerning the Christ myth theory. Although I know some of the information presented in the film as fact is, in actuality, inaccurate, the parallels between Christian beliefs about Jesus and ancient religions (particuarly Greek and Egyptian) are striking.

The other thing I liked about the film was that it highlighted the shocking ignorance of some of today's s0-called born again Christians; I found the fact that some people are willing to dedicate their entire lives to something they haven't even researched properly... quite frightening. An interview with the principal of a fundamentalist Christian school is particularly indicative of a lack of historical and scientific knowledge - having someone like that in charge of the education of nearly 2,000 children does feel a little like the blind leading the blind.

Anyway, I highly recommend the film, despite its (few) inaccuracies. The whole thing is available to watch on YouTube (link here) and I also recommend you watch Flemming's interviews on various news channels as a follow-up to the feature.

Have a nice weekend.