Saturday 31 March 2012

Vote for Central Station

Over the past couple of years as a soloist (and more recently with my backing supergroup, The Black-Eyed Wives) I've had the pleasure of playing in pubs, underground clubs, comedy clubs, gardens, tents, festival stages, churches and theatres. My favourite venue in which to play so far, and by quite a long way, has been Wrexham's Central Station at an event called ROPE, run by the inestimable Ross  Roberts.

I've played there twice now: Ross and his team have looked after my fellow musicians and me and both times have gone the extra mile to make sure that everything we've needed was provided. My favourite ROPE memory is of playing alongside The Charlatans in March 2011, when the house lights were brought up as I played and I could suddenly see hundreds of people watching me bring my set to a close.

Anyway, here's the rub: the NME are currently looking to find Britain's best small venue and if there's a worthier candidate than Central Station, I haven't heard of it. Vote here, and be sure to check the listings on the ROPE website for future shows. I'll doubtless be making an appearance there very soon.